Friday, July 27, 2018

Salvo Wednesday: Just Can't Get Enough

After a few weeks of Salvo road trips, I decided this week would be a good time to stay home. Less driving, a shorter day, more time with the dogs at home in my back yard. All good things. I'd been to Henrietta on the 4th of July, even if only briefly, so I started at Greece.

Greece can be hit or miss for me. Sometimes I find good things, sometimes I get there and there's a power outage (that actually happened), and sometimes I start looking and there's a fire and we have to be evacuated (that happened too). It's a little fun to see which one it will be! 

One of my least favorite things about the Greece Salvo is their apparent need to constantly reorganize. When I walk into Henrietta, the dresses are always in the same place. They have always, always been in the same place from the first time I visited the store. At Greece almost the exact opposite is true. I never know where the damn things are going to be. The swimsuits were at the immediate front, so I checked them out, and that was a bust. I started wandering the store trying to locate the dresses and finally found them in the middle. That's a new one.



At first glance I thought this was a 90s slip dress. Nope! It's a 60s slip-style dress with crepe fabric and a metal zipper. It's amazing, so I broke my current no-more-black rule. 



I wanted to love this one so much. I love a good velvet and those sleeves are to die for. But I just couldn't. Maybe if it had been a mini. But in maxi dress, that is a lot of green velvet. A bit too much.




I did not get this dress but I thought you would enjoy seeing that I found yet another of the Old Navy dresses that I have many times over. I think it's time to stop. Are they taking over the world??!






I couldn't pass this one up, even if it does fall into the kawaii category. The metallic hot pink fabric was just so Jem, and I can't resist anything Jem. And the lace has a little bow pattern, and the waist is asymmetrical, and I can't pick which thing I love the most. It's coming to my Etsy shop soon!




I've recently started to love vintage tops, especially bohemian 70s tops. I realized that to find this kind of shirt, I will need to start actually looking through the shirts. Ugh. It's a struggle when it means most of the shirts are like the above, or worse. Shoot me.




But at least it paid off! It's 90s instead of 70s but so so fun!




I ran into these guys while checking out. I literally jumped. Yiye.

I headed off next to what I have dubbed the Hidden City Salvo. I call it this because many times in the past I have put it into Google maps only to wind up at a dead end, or at a Salvation Army church, or really anything but the actual thrift store. Two years ago I was smart enough to add a star for it to my Google maps and was able to successfully navigate there without major issues, Last year I got even smarter and added a name to the star, so that this year I just said 'Hey Google, navigate to the Hidden City Salvo" and BOOM. Done. 

The dresses were in the same spot, where they always are (I'm looking at you, Greece Salvo), so I dove right in.


Only to get waylaid by this adorable Whiting & Davis purse. I already have a very similar one in my Etsy shop already and didn't feel like having two, so you'll be able to find this on Sarah's site soon!
 


This super-summery bag (#teamsummer) is my new makeup bag!



Finally I made it to the dresses. This guy was decidedly vintage, and I just couldn't do it. Not only does a dress have to "give me the feels" for me to buy it, I'm really trying to go for a very wearable style for my shop. This is something that I wouldn't have judged Goodwill for putting on their questionable Halloween rack, so I passed it up.



This is non-vintage but yes-awesome. I don't care if it's light-washed denim. I love it. If I could have squeezed into it I SO would have bought it, and subjected my poor students to seeing their teacher in it this fall. Sigh.



Now this one my students WILL see me in. It's my size and it's gorgeous. It's a 50s dress with a full skirt. For our fall and winter concerts, we wear all black, but in the spring I let everyone wear a solid, bright colored top or dress, and I like to add a pop of color to mine if I can. Done and done! Check it out on the dress form (since I haven't tried it on yet but I measured it and I swear it will fit)!


It will not be the first time I wear a petticoat to conduct a concert!



I had some more success with fun vintage tops! I love the colorful paisley print on this Peck & Peck blouse. 



And the weird bubbly things on this one!



Oh man. I just couldn't. It sure fit the bill but screamed a little too "bowling league" for me.




I did find some things for myself this time, besides the 50s dress! This is a super-soft, super-stretchy and therefore comfortable dress!



Oh boy! Sailboats! If I'm not careful I'm going to one one bajillion sailboat dresses. But who cares? They're amazing. And this one has pockets so you know I'm in love.




It's going to need a little TLC (what IS going on with that hem?) but I don't even care. Gimme sailboats.



And seashells! These are earrings and so cute!

I was having fun, and as it was pouring outside, the siren song of my back yard did not hold its usual allure. So I went on to my unplanned third stop! I figured that even though I'd been to Henrietta recently, I hadn't stayed long, so probably I'd missed stuff. Right?

Nope. Not unless you count this.


Look, I know jumpsuits are all the rage right now, but I just couldn't do it. Don't judge me.

I did get a slip for myself but that was all she wrote, folks. Still, I'm pleased with my finds from the day!




Since I have exhausted all my local Salvos, I'm going to have to decide whether I want to take another road trip (ungh) or take a week off (sniff) next week. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment