Monday, July 9, 2018

That's What She Said: A Fine Form

On Fridays we go to estate sales. That's just how it is, that's how the game is played for us in Magic Summer. But sometimes, after stalking the estate sale listings, there are things in the pictures that you just have to have. Like you can't wait until day 2, because what if someone buys it on day 1?!? This was one of those weeks for me. 

I have a dress form situation. I have a small dress form that is simple and easy to use, and then I have a large one which is adjustable and that's great. Only, it's red. Bright red. Which is not the best color for clothing photography. I've also run into a problem fairly often with 40s/50s dresses where even though the dress will fit the form just fine, I can't get it onto the stupid thing because the zipper doesn't go all the way up to the armpit and I can't get the dress over the shoulders of the dress form. It's SO irritating.

Enter this estate sale listing, and the photo of a wire dress form. It's moldable, see. Which means I can stretch it to make it bigger for my larger size dresses (and it's not even a little bit red), and I can smoooooooosh it down and get my smaller dresses over the shoulders! Magical! 100% ideal! And no way was I letting anyone else get that sucker first. So off I went on Thursday, which felt a little sacrilegious.



Such a sad little lonely number. Also, it was one jillion degrees. Please don't mistake the tone here. That is JOY.



This looked like such a promising closet, and I did get a couple of little gems out of it, but it was mostly full of cute dresses made out of that unfortunate, thick, heavy polyester. Blech. Can't do it!




Aaahhhh, There she is, in all her wiry, magnificent glory. I paid way more than I usually pay for anything at an estate sale, and I regret nothing. It will take some work getting used to putting the rods in that help it maintain its shape once you've set it, but molding it to different sizes is easy peasy. I love it!!! Anybody want a big red dress form? Seriously. I listed it on Craigslist but if anyone wants it, make me an offer.


If you're a seamstress, it works perfectly! For product photography, it's not ideal.







I also bought these beauties at the checkout. They're each a full set of necklace, bracelet, and earrings. They're gorgeous and will be in my shop soon! 

On Friday Sarah and I met up for a sale that didn't have much that called to me, but I was just excited to do our usual routine. As part of that "usual routine", we forgot as we so often do to take a picture beforehand. But don't worry, we got one inside the sale.


We are SLAMMIN in these.


Please note our reflection!


It was REALLY tricky to get the angle right so you could actually see what's on the glasses. They're so cool! If you happen to work at Mutual Omaha, which clearly this guy did.


This guy was in the basement, and I discovered him while Sarah was panting over her pagoda. I texted her this pic with the phrase "u need" and found myself completely hilarious. She is obsessed with holiday decorations, and sometimes I get what she sees in them, and sometimes I decidedly do not. She was with me on this one, thank goodness.





This guy was into funky hats. You see here a couple of them. The latter might just show up on the partner post over at the Snug Bungalow. You never know.



This guy was also into this well lit painting. And also Elmo (see lower left corner).




This is awesome! It's wooden and fun. People I've Drunk With! Great list!


....womp womp.





But our buddy Hal had better things going on than drinking with just the one person, it looks like. He got an award that was made into drinking glasses (that he used alone?! somebody please tell me he was just bad at keeping records due to all the drinking) and had a director's chair made up with his name! Sounds like a better time there.



Well now it's confirmed. This guy definitely knew how to have fun.



He also went to Hawaii at least once, since this was made there. I bought it for my husband who loves necklaces like these. Hopefully it will subtly remind him that I want to go back there again someday. Maybe it will give him subliminal messages every time he wears it.



And Sarah got this, on her all-time-want-list. I'm sure she'll tell you all about it, so don't forget to check out her partner blog at the Snug Bungalow!

And that's it! I'll catch you all later. I have a wire dress form to play with!


Visit us on Instagram!






And find our shops on Etsy!



No comments:

Post a Comment