Tuesday, July 24, 2018

That's What She Said: Salvo Wednesday

This week you're getting a 2-for-1 special! Initially Sarah was planning to go to the Syracuse Salvos with me, which has been a big hit in the past. As we were perusing the estate sale listings, we saw that our usual Friday scene didn't look very exciting, but there was one on Wednesday that did. So we revised our plan to involve going to the estate sale first, and then to Syracuse for their Salvos.

But wait! There's more! After posting about the sale we went to a couple of weeks ago, my cousin Kristin read Sarah's version of events and fell madly in love with the glassware set she posted about but neither of us actually bought. She decided that she needed to come with us to make sure such a travesty didn't happen again, and she happened to be off work last week, so our usual party of two became a party of three!


I'm sure you're going to hear all about Sarah's shirt and the inherent problem with it in her blog, so I won't say anything else about that.

We had told Kristin all about our usual cast of characters that we see regularly while waiting for sales, and I was glad that she got to see at least Eastern European lady. More on that later.

Once inside, I set out to find closets. Unfortunately for me, this person maybe went naked all the time? based on the complete and total lack of clothing, anyway. But did enjoy a good raincoat!


I left most behind, but this beauty is already live in my Etsy shop!




There were purses in the bedroom, and a lot of them. I saw this one and grabbed it immediately!


A wicker and lucite box purse! With the cutest pink interior! It is also available in my Etsy shop!


So so cute!


Kristin was gaga over these lamps, but about 2 seconds after I took this picture, some guy came and started unplugging them. Alas!


I spotted this and knew that Sarah would want it (if she didn't have it already, because let's be real. There was a good chance she did). 




It always makes me happy/sad to see cool stuff still in the package. It's so neat to see how it was brand new, but so sad to realize it was never loved by its owner! I think on the whole I prefer the loved stuff.



They looked ready for a movie party in the yard!




If you're not aware, my husband has declared our yard a "gnome sanctuary". I bought him several last year, and a few other creatures have crept their way in. This cutie will be making his home among our copious amounts of hot peppers! We'll see if he can hold his own with a bunch of gnomes!



While Sarah was elbow-deep in a box of stuffed animals, Kristin and I were taking selfies with Santa Claus! 




In a creepiest-clown contest, who do you think would win?



Sarah was in holiday heaven. There were rooms of it. It's a lot like what I imagine the estate sale for Sarah's stuff will look like some day, at least a little bit. Apparently this "tissue" ghost is pretty much the same as honeycomb. She loves a good tissue ghost, I guess!



The very pinkest bathroom!


And the very prettiest glassware, and I'm pretty sure that Kristin took home the blue dish in the right lower corner!

While I was wandering around making sure I hadn't missed anything before leaving, I wondered aloud why there was no jewelry. One of the women in charge heard me and said it was because they'd had so much stuff at this sale that they didn't have enough room, so the jewelry had moved to their second sale a few streets over. So....



Yup, estate sale #2. And guys, I'm sorry to tell you that this part of the tale does not have a happy ending. EEL (Eastern European Lady) beat us in and.... 



Well. There was Bakelite on that table. I did not get the Bakelite. Let's all take a minute to mourn.


.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Anyway, I got nothing there except sadness. So after a quick stop at Dunkin, we moved on to Syracuse for the Salvos!



Only to experience sadness, round 2. I had checked all the locations again and had our route mapped out. Unfortunately, I checked late at night so the fact that this location was marked as closed didn't strike me as significant in the way it might have if I had checked during business hours. Permanently closed! Noooooo!

So we moved on to the second Salvo, where I promise you I found good stuff. I did. But the two back-to-back disappointments seem to have thrown me off my game, because the only pictures I took were these:


Kristin was very excited about this shirt. I don't know why she didn't go for it. It's totally her.



And I guess you all needed to see this winged unicorn-rainbow-cat. I think the whole world needed to see it, honestly.

Since the best part of any road trip is eating food in fun new places, we tried The Mission. It's a Mexican restaurant in an old church! fun! and delicious!






The whole day had taken a lot longer than we had expected, so by this point we were ready to be done. But it seemed crazy to drive all the way to Syracuse for just one of 3 Salvos, and Kristin and Sarah were good sports, so we went to the other one where I usually do the most damage.



And speaking of damage.... yikes. It was a situation. I found one dress and one skirt and then I wanted to get the hell out of there. Syracuse, you've done so well for me in the past. What happened this year?!?

Since I completely lost my mind and took no real Salvo pictures, and already started the process of cleaning/photographing/storing the stuff I did get, here's a little taste of what I found! Click on each picture to view the Etsy listing!



The buttons! Adorable!


I'm working on remembering to lookzs at tops as well as dresses and skirts, because vintage ones are amazing. Sarah found this one for me!


I think I'm obsessed with vintage swimsuits. Look at it! Who can blame me?

There's a beautiful peach lace 50s dress, too, but until my new garment steamer arrives (my old one died that same day), you will just have to wait to see that beauty! 

Don't forget to read about our adventures from Sarah's perspective at her partner blog! And as always, check us out on our various shops and social media!

Follow more of our adventures on Instagram!






And if you love our finds, shop our online stores!


No comments:

Post a Comment