Friday, July 20, 2018

Salvo Wednesday: Better With Wine

Last year I was smart enough to make a couple of stops at some of my favorite Finger Lakes wineries when I was thrifting in the Finger Lakes. I got even smarter this year and brought a friend along!


Stephanie is the kind of friend who will run a half marathon with you and then go wine tasting (we've done this twice so far). This is the kind of friend everyone needs. It turns out she'll also go hunting for bargain treasure and then go wine tasting. You should all be so lucky!


I really love sandals that go between your toes. I also love neon orange. These were made for me!




These were not.




There were a large number of terrifying things that happened in 80s fashion. From what I can tell, the bathing suits were not one of those things. So cute!




Gasp! Pastel rainbow! Even cuter! And it has already sold, so I'm not the only one who thought it was awesome.





It was a full circle skirt, so I was tempted. I sent a pic to Sarah and she said something about it screaming Minnie Mouse. So I left it behind. It's just a bit much.





Another thing that the 80s got right!! So cute and already available in my Etsy shop!



I gasped out loud when I found this one. I can't get over the color of this material - I can't even put a name on it. Like gold but the softest, butteriest yellow-gold ever. I don't even know. And this one is from the 50s. A 50s cheongsam dress in perfect condition! Be still my beating heart! It would already be in my Etsy shop, only my garment steamer is down for the count at the moment. 




I saw this one on my way out. It's such a fun pattern and color scheme, and I love how the waist has a tie at the side! So cute!


I tried this on and did not like how it sat at my hips. Such a cute pattern, and such a nice feel to the fabric though - so I handed it over to Stephanie and she bought it instead!



This one I did buy, though! The cutest retro 50s-style dress! With pockets!! Love!


We moved on to the Salvo that was closer to our wineries and started the process again. I have had mixed experiences at this store. One summer I hit the jackpot twice at this store, and last summer was a bust. So I wasn't sure what I would find, and it started out poorly. I made it through all the dresses and only found this:


This is for my cousin Lisa, who is rather pregnant at the moment. Maternity clothes are quite the racket if you ask me. They're expensive and you only wear them for less than 9 months and then you don't need them anymore. Lisa had mentioned she didn't have much for that reason, so I was on the job. Turns out that a lot of people get rid of their maternity clothes once they no longer need them! And adorable Lisa now has one more dress to be adorable in!

So much cuteness!


I was just about to give up when they wheeled out a new rack. Aha! They'd been withholding their vintage!


It's the floral version of the purple polka dotted one from the last store! Woo! And it's also already available in my Etsy shop!



70s maxi dress with the most awesome floral print? Yes please!!!



Finally it was time for the wine. It turns out that once we start drinking great wine, I get even worse at remembering to take pictures (and also to text my husband about when I'll be home, but that's another story. I did take this one because of the description of the sauvignon blanc. That happens to be my favorite wine varietal, and the description is hilarious. And my Select Choir will be singing that this fall, if that little tidbit interests any of you.





Finally we stopped at Ports in Geneva for a light dinner.



The Finger Lakes are beautiful, and home not only to good thrift stores but some of the best wines on the planet. I recommend it to you all, and it's better with a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment