Saturday, July 9, 2016

Salvo Wednesday: New Vintage, New Online Teaching Gig

For the last 6 or 7 years I've been teaching Music Appreciation and Music Theory online. In the summer of 2013, our BOCES (and a few others) received a grant to author and offer several online AP courses, including Music Theory. I spent the better part of that summer in what I called "Back Yard Office", trying to be creative and finding ways to effectively teach AP-level Music Theory in an online forum.



This spring I was contacted by another BOCES about my course. They had also authored a Music Theory course during the summer of the VAP grant, and it seemed they liked mine better. They asked me to meet with them in early summer to discuss using my course and hiring me to teach it for them. Since they're located in a town that's about an hour drive and happens to have a Salvation Army, I asked to have the meeting on a Wednesday.

So this past Wednesday I drove out to Auburn, met my mother-in-law to go to the Salvo before my meeting, had my meeting, and left Auburn with both new Salvo treasures and a new part-time teaching gig. Not bad!

I have to take a moment to complain a little about the Auburn Salvo, however. First, the joy of Salvo Wednesdays is that every color tag but one is half off. Every color but ONE. Not two. Please take note, Auburn Salvo. You don't get to make up your own rules when every other Salvation Army in the area (and out of state as well - believe me, I've checked) has the same rule. Also, thrift store prom dresses should not be $50. They just should not. And this dress, at any other Salvation Army, would be marked $6.99. Not $25. Who do you think you are? Gah.


However, I did find a few good things for my Etsy shop, which have all been photographed and will be getting listed this week. Here's my favorite:


The most summery thing that ever was! Find it here.

After my meeting, I started to head in the direction of Rochester from Auburn... and it occurred to me that Seneca Falls also lies in that direction. And it also contains a Salvation Army. So I had to stop. And glad I did! I found a whole bunch of handsewn 60s/70s dresses, an amazing vintage black handbag, and a little something for me as well!


I've decided to call this color Goldenrod instead of Mustard to make it sound a little more appealing, but it doesn't get more 60s than that color. And the design! So cute. 



I love the pattern of this dress SO much. And it fits perfectly... once it's on. But it doesn't have a zipper, and that's a problem for me. When you are built like me, zippers are your friend. In general, I am very blessed with how clothes fit me. It seems like that when the current American fashion designer makes clothes, mine is the body type they have in mind. If it's my size, it fits. With one exception. I have a small frame, small waist, small chest, small stature, small everything... except my rib cage/shoulders. They're built for a linebacker. So if I can get it over my shoulders, it will fit my waist. Sometimes I can get things zipped up just fine over my waist and then run into trouble in the bust area, not because of my generous bust (ha) but because of the linebacker situation. So I predict that I will wear this once, get stuck in it, and never wear it again. Oh well. It's super cute!


Thank goodness, this one is easy to get on and fits perfectly once it's on. And the little buttons at the neckline! Love.

Another word about the superiority of the Seneca Falls Salvo over the Auburn one: not only are their prices much more reasonable, not only did they follow the rules and only had one tag that wasn't half off, they also did this:





Pretty and super-duper organized! The best of all worlds.


I headed home again, only to realize that Geneva also lay between me and home, and it also had a Salvation Army... the choice was out of my hands. And again, I was really glad I went. I found several good vintage dresses, and my first vintage swimsuit! Ridiculously adorable, ridiculously 80s.

Find it here.

I also found a couple of cute things for me!


Nine Wests red platform heels with bows on the peep toes!! SO MUCH YES!!! And adorable, comfy flats to wear with this:



A sweater dress! Yes, in the midst of the first true heat wave we've had in years (did you know that means 3 or more consecutive days of 90+? I didn't!), I not only bought a dress to wear in winter, I modeled it. In our unairconditioned home. And my phone decided to reboot during the process, so I got to wear it a little longer. Lucky me.

I'm not complaining. This heat wave is my favorite thing ever, and I'm counting you in that, dresses. And the rainbow section of the Seneca Falls Salvation Army. I love you, summer.



No comments:

Post a Comment