Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer is the best. This is why.

Let me say straightaway that I am well aware that many of my very favorite things about summer are teacher-specific. That is, it's all about having the TIME to do some of my favorite things. Given my deep love of summer and being outdoors for the entirety of it, I don't see how I could have chosen any career other than teaching. On the other hand, given my deep love of music and my students, I still don't see how I could have chosen any other career. So it's win-win.

Some of my favorite things about summer (in no particular order):

  • Waking up to sunshine streaming in my window
  • Running in the morning sun
  • Spending time in the back yard with my dogs
  • Summer-in-a-bottle (more on this later)
  • My husband's grilling (LOTS more on this later)
  • Rochester's summer festivals and activities
  • Having nearly unlimited time to spend with friends
  • Being hot
  • Sundresses
  • Pools/ocean
  • Traveling with my husband
  • Eating outdoors on Park Ave
  • Fresh fruits and vegetables
  • Salvation Army Wednesdays/thrift store shopping in general
It's this last topic which I'm going to be dealing with today, and will be devoting a lot of time to in the future. I buy my clothes almost exclusively at thrift stores and with a pretty outstanding degree of success. Until recently, this was primarily done at Goodwill because Rochester's Goodwills are beautiful, clean, well organized, and have a LOT of brand new Target apparel. Recently they raised their prices - between 40-60% increases - so we're on the outs right now. Instead, I am going to spend this summer focusing on going to a different area Salvation Army every Wednesday. If you're not aware, Wednesdays at the Salvo are half-off day - every color ticket but one is half off. So without further ado, the treasures that I collected this past Wednesday....


Greece Goodwill, $9

My first stop was at the Goodwill in Greece, more out of habit than anything. Their prices didn't seem to have been raised as much (yet?) as some of the other area Goodwills, so I bought this lovely Target dress for $9.



Greece Salvo
Say What dress, $1.50
Greece Salvo
Top, $1
C9 workout pants, $2


Greece Salvo
skirt, $1
 
Greece Salvo
Nine West, $2



I didn't take pictures of a necklace and pair of earrings that I bought, so all things told, I spent about fifty cents more at the Greece Salvation Army than the Goodwill and got all of this instead of just one dress. Dear Salvo, I love you.




Irondequoit Salvo
Charlotte Russe, $2
Irondequoit Salvo
Charlotte Russe, $2.50


Irondequoit Salvo
$2
Irondequoit Salvo
Wild Diva, $2





The Irondequoit Salvation Army also treated me well. I saw the red dress on a mannequin in the window and didn't stop, didn't hesitate, walked straight up to it and grabbed it.




All in all, an auspicious beginning to my summer. Combined with a week of the following activities: Golfing with my husband on Monday, eating raspberry sushi by the lake with him the next day, my first-ever yoga class with my friend Melissa Wednesday (one must de-stress after such an exhilarating day!) spending all afternoon at a fabulous pool with my friend Oriana Thursday, grilling with Greg and my friend Colleen Thursday night, and spending MOST of Friday making this blog in the church office with my friend Sarah... this bodes very, very well.

I promise you many thrift store adventures, many pictures of adorable doggies, and other wonderful summer-related joy.

3 comments:

  1. 1) Woohoo! Name-checked in a blog! 2) I will have to go with you sometime when you are shopping in Henrietta. I can never find anything good, I need a Salvo Sherpa to guide me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henrietta's on the agenda for next Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete