Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Dog Days of Summer

If Facebook posts are any indication, most of you have been HATING this week's heat wave. People like myself are rare. I've been blessed with the ability, while sitting in the brutal, sticky, sweaty sunshine, to look around my backyard, remember what it looked like buried in snow, and be thankful. I hate snow. I HATE it. And people... it's not snowing. I haven't had a Raynaud's attack in weeks. I have rarely needed a cardigan (and only then when in air conditioning). There is zero need to wear anything other than a sundress and a pair of flip-flops. Since the beginning of the heat wave, none of the following things have happened:
  • Shoveling the driveway
  • Scraping off my car
  • Wrapping myself in a thousand layers
  • Clutching the steering wheel on a treacherous, snowy drive into work
  • Slipping on the ice
  • The dogs destroying the house due to pent-up energy from being cooped up
In fact, the dogs have been too hot to do much of anything but lay about panting, and splash in their doggy pool. This is much less annoying than usual, and infinitely cuter.

Trying to get as much of herself in the water as possible...

...including her face...
...but she's willing to share.
It was pushing 100 degrees when I took these pictures, and I was happily sweating through my sundress, watching all the adorableness, and drinking my body weight in seltzer water.

I. Love. Summer.

For those of you who don't, a few tips to help you enjoy it more: Close your eyes, and try to envision yourself scraping your car free of ice while you're running late to work. Remember shoveling your driveway the billionth time, after nearly five months of snow. Remember when you both arrived and left work in the dark. Go drink something iced, turn on a fan, and enjoy it while it lasts. I certainly intend to!



January...

...or July.        
I know which I choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment