Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The 4th of July

I really doubt I have to say anything else here, as I am sure you are all aware of how awesome the 4th of July is. (Best holiday ever?) I would just like to highlight the obvious with a few mentions of how I spent MY holiday.


On Sunday, we went to an annual 4th of July party (although it was held on the 3rd this year) involving a cornhole tournament. This just means a bean-bag toss, for those of you like myself who think it should just be called "bean bag toss". It's a big deal here, and goes on all day. I mean ALL day. My husband apparently has his moves down to perfection.... please note his form in these two separate photos:


I had fun in the shade while he was cornholing...


Ice cream trucks are another example of the best part of summer... and apparently the gaelic boys thought so, too.






On the actual 4th of July, I got to experience another of the best parts of summer: Races. I love to run, even though I'm very, very slow, and am lucky to have lots of runner friends. I ran the Fleet Feet Firecracker 5 miler "with" (and by "with", I mean "behind") a few wonderful women from my church!

Ann, Becca, Jann, Carol

I finished in 50:31, which to my surprise was faster than my previous time for this race. A pleasant surprise, considering I thought I was taking it easy. Guess I must be getting faster.... for me, anyway!

I went with the ladies to the parade route for a bit... I couldn't stay because Greg and I were going to the mother-in-law's, but I DID get to see one of my favorite puppies... please say hello to Jefferson!


Then we went to my mother-in-law's, where my husband got to spend time with some of her dogs... always his favorite activity...

Thurman and Jethro
Yes, that is a dog. Harry, the hairless.


Then we went home and spent the rest of the evening in the backyard. My Kindle was an important part of this portion of the weekend.


So with a weekend like that, how can anyone NOT love summer???

No comments:

Post a Comment