Thursday, August 9, 2018

That's What She Said: I've Had Better

Every week during the summer months, Sarah of @thesnugbungalowshop and I venture out to see what treasures we can unearth. Sometimes this means estate sales, but it can also include neighborhood sales and church sales. This summer has contained disappointingly few exciting estate sales, but at least there have been church sales galore.... when we go to them on the right day.

This week held a church sale for us that we'd been to in the past. Unfortunately for me, past experience had told me that it was unlikely to have any clothing at all, so I wasn't terribly excited. Still, there was jewelry to inspect and a crafts room (and I do love a good knitting pattern, so Dumbledore and I have that in common). 


With SO much stuff (and this is just what's outdoors! so much more indoors!) you'd think I'd find quite a lot, wouldn't you? Alas. This was my first purchase (found for me by Sarah):


Bahahaha! Who doesn't??! I haven't decided what I'm going to do with this. Display it in my room? Give it away as a reward.... or maybe a punishment? I just can't decide. I did find some jewelry but in all honesty I didn't take pictures and I can't remember what it was! Sarah and I parted ways after the jewelry room and I headed to the crafting room in search of good vintage patterns.



Which this was not. But I have to say... is this a 60s crochet pattern that is promoting a family with gay parents? Because that's what it looks like to me. I feel like that must not be the intent (because God forbid a soup company portray a gay couple as a happy family unit in an ad in this decade, so what are the odds this crochet company got away with it 50ish years ago?) but it still makes my heart happy. Not happy enough to buy it, though, because while love is love is love, crocheted men's vests are not.



I did buy this, because who doesn't need a chunky knit sweater dress? I am currently knitting a lace dress and after 20+ hours of knitting, I pretty much just have a hem.


It's going to be gorgeous eventually, I promise you!

I left the craft room in search of Sarah, who I assumed was in the holiday room. I didn't see her, but I still couldn't swear she wasn't in there somewhere.


It's like Where's Waldo, only with Christmas and a short treasure hunter.

At this point, I was pretty much done, so I blindly followed Sarah about. We walked past a room with a sign that said "Collectibles" and she said "what do you suppose is in there?" I said "probably Precious Moments."



Boy, when I'm right, I'm right.

We moved on to the much more exciting portion of the day. I had done a long run in the morning before meeting Sarah, and was about ready to eat my shoe. To spare me that indignity, we went to Rohrbach's.





Decidedly better than my shoe.

On my long run that morning, I had discovered that there was another church sale near me.




It was opening just as we finished up, so off I went. I'd gone on my own last year too, and found quite a bit of awesome jewelry. So it seemed worth it!


Felt like I was heading into the Pit of Despair.


The sight of the crowd around the jewelry table was almost enough to make me turn around and go home. But I figured I'd come all this way, so I might as well look. I squeezed my way in, which most people were really nice about. However, one person to my right was not. She was all elbows. I turned and looked and guess who it was!


You may remember Eastern European Woman from (I called her lady but I like woman better because then it abbreviates to EEW, which feels appropriate) the day during which we introduced my cousin Kristin to estate sales. She's the one who grabbed Bakelite out from under my nose. She and I are not friends. I'm not sure if I would call her an arch-nemesis, but I'm getting there.

Anyway, that was the end of the line for me. I got out. I went home to my back yard and puppies. 

The end of my Magic Summer is starting to loom, and I still haven't had The One To Beat yet. Come on, fate! 

While you wait to see if it ever happens for me this year, head over to Sarah's blog and read her version of events! And of course, check us out on social media!



Find us on Instagram:






And if you love our finds, shop our online stores!



1 comment:

  1. OY! I feel like we all have our thrifting arch nemesis! lol

    ReplyDelete