Thursday, April 17, 2014

Salvo Wednesday: Is It Summer Yet?!?

If you live in the Northeastern US, particularly in Western NY, you've been on one heck of a roller coaster ride lately. Winter was a real jerk this year...bitter cold and blustery for a really, really long time. Then it got warm. Then there was a blizzard. Then it got warm again. Then it snowed again. This last weekend, it hit 80 two days in a row... and then snowed the next day. I want to say "make up your mind, Mother Nature!" but what I really mean is that she should make it up in the way that I want. And obviously, that's the summer way.

I always long for summer. This is an eternal truth. Even in the dead of summer, when I'm happily sweating in the sun, I'm nervous about winter returning and want it to be summer again before it's even over. I'm that crazy. But this year, in addition to the usual heat-loving-insanity, I am just plain sick of my winter clothes even more than usual (probably because I've been wearing them longer than usual). I don't want to wear sweaters. I don't want to wear scarves. And for the love of all that is good and holy, I don't want to put socks or tights on EVER AGAIN. I want to wear things like this:

Aeropostale, $4

Sundresses. I got to wear one last weekend, and it was EPIC. There may or may not have been tears. I'll never confess. The joy of maxi dresses is that you can wear them on untrustworthy summerlike "spring" days. It may feel warm enough for a sundress, but then the sun goes behind a cloud and you're freezing again. Lucky you - you're wearing a maxi dress and it covers your legs and you were smart enough to bring a cardigan along as well. Problem solved!



Mimi Chica, $5

The flowiness of this one is not shown well in the photo. It drapes perfectly and moves well. Enough that these were the only two dresses I bought. There were other lovely ones, but not worthy of my precious closet space. My closet is crammed and if I'm going to add new dresses, something else has to go. These were worth giving others the bump. The rest weren't, so they stayed at the Salvo.



Ann Taylor, $3.50
It's tweed and it's brown and it's lovely. It's very fall, and God willing, I won't have opportunity to wear it until at least next October.


Wet Seal, $3
I can't stop buying these loose-fitting, drape-y things. I've also learned that there is a huge difference between a loose-fitting shirt in your size and a shirt that's just too big. I can't tell you what that difference is, but one looks great and the other looks like you're a little kid wearing your mom's clothes. I can also tell you that they're next to impossible to differentiate on a hanger at a quick glance. This is making my browsing take a lot longer... but it's totally worth it. 



American Eagle Outfitters, $2.50
Drape-y AND a sweater! Again... I hope I don't have the chance to wear this till next fall!




Apt 9, $4
Shiny and drape-y! Fabulous! Now I just need slim-legged black dress pants. Because obviously this loose-fitting top trend doesn't work well with full bottoms of any kind.


Bandolino, $2
I have been looking everywhere for gray heels. I didn't really care what form they were in as long as they were gray and had heels. There are so many outfits that require this! The shoe gods finally smiled on me this week!

It's looking sunny and nicer for the next week, so my hopes are high. I think everyone's are, if the entire winter's worth of Facebook posts are any indication. I kept my mouth shut for almost all of it, but I have to warn everyone now: I will probably punch the first person who complains about the heat this summer. It had to be said.

So hopefully, the next post I make, it will be summer for real! I don't know about you, but I'm ready. Bring it, sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment