Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Good, The Bad, and the YIKES

I made my first Salvo trip of the summer last Wednesday. Henrietta and Greece were the lucky winners of my presence. I spent several hours and bought 3 things, one of which is a slip which you shall not be seeing. Not an auspicious beginning, but at least they were a good three things.

Merona skirt, $2
I'm really into flowy skirts this summer. They're loose and cool when it's hot, and long enough to cover you up if (and when, this summer) a storm suddenly moves in and the temperature drops 10-20 degrees. Which can stop any time now, incidentally.

Maurice, $4.50
Cute stripes, nice bell shaped skirt. And, aside from the slip, that was it for me. Sigh.

While I was shopping, a thought occurred to me that I find myself thinking an awful lot while I'm in the Salvos, browsing through rack after rack in hopes of finding one or two hidden treasures. The thought is this: "HOW are there so many horrifying articles of clothing in the world? HOW?" Because, for every amazing outfit I bring home, there's hundreds of outfits I don't bring home. And I look at all of it and think how not only someone bought that new in a store once upon a time, but someone designed it, produced it, marketed, and charged someone for it. It's enough to make the mind reel. Things like this:


\
\
Oh yes. Those are pants. For all your vertically striped pant needs.



I love crocheting, and have been known to granny square myself upon occasion... but never in a vest. NEVER.


Let's just take a moment to consider why they sell bathing suits second hand at all. This, friends, is one thing I ALWAYS buy new.



Long jean skirt, plaid pockets. I really don't know why I didn't buy it.



Someone's recycling their 80's prom dress...



...in 2 different colors, it would seem.




In case you can't tell, that's a very, very shiny metallic fabric. One step closer to being Michael Jackson.




Because you sometimes need to pretend to have a kitten in a pretend pocket.\



And also, crawling down your back.




Sometimes people need to know where you'd rather be...



...your age and the state of your mental faculties...




...your preferred method of transportation...



...and of course, they really need to know not to hate you.



Also, these are boots.


And these were just samples. Honestly, the mind reels. It does make you thankful for the days when you leave with a bag full of amazingness. Those days are bound to happen soon... right? Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! This post makes me laugh. I love thrift shopping with Cami. Hi-LAR-ious. We did, btw, score some great things last Wed. in Webster when everything at VOA was 50% off.

    ReplyDelete