Sunday, September 4, 2016

Salvo Wednesday: Magic Summer Ends

Back in the spring, I made the decision to open an Etsy shop. Moreover, I decided that with all the treasure hunting that would be required (much of which was spent in the company of my companion of my Magic Summer days of yore), that this was going to be Magic Summer the Reboot. 

You know how sometimes you get excited for a thing and the reality is never as good as the anticipation? That is not what happened. This summer exceeded my wildest expectations. As I mentioned in my last post, it was hot. I spend most of my summers waiting for a good stretch of 80s, but with a good dash of highs in the 70s. This summer, we not only had 24 (or are we up to 25 yet?) days in the 90s, we went a record-breaking stretch of days with a high above 80. More than a month.

This is my idea of heaven. I have not been too cold ALL SUMMER LONG. It's been... well... magical.

On top of that, my treasure hunting has been all I dreamed and more. I found so many amazing dresses, made some sales, and laugheed our crazy way through estate sales with Sarah.

The final week of magic summer was no exception. I decided to keep close to home this week, and went to my two favorite hometown Salvos.


While I bought plenty of vintage (coming this week to my Etsy shop!), this was all I bought for myself.  In past summers, this would have sent me spiralling. But because I got so much for my shop (and because my own personal closet is burgeoning), I just smiled and went my merry way.



I have decided that I can't handle doing scarves. Dresses are my joy and my delight and I enjoy every minute of the work involved. But scarves, while beautiful, do not delight me in the same way and I just don't want to deal with it. But for real. SOMEONE should. Look at that bounty! Get thee to the Salvo!

Last weekend, I found the exact desk I'd been wanting at a yard sale about two blocks away. I talked them down to $15 (they were so giddy to be getting rid of it that it wasn't a challenge - before I knew what was happening, they had it loaded in my car, even). It's a huge improvement over the wicker basket I had before, and it gives my (now-functional) sewing machine a happy home.


A pile of dresses to wash/mend, drawers to keep me organized.... what more can a girl want?


A dressmaker's form for a steal, you say? This was my favorite find at my final estate sale of the summer, and man, was it worth it. The ability to change sizes! My larger sized dresses are about to look a lot better on the dress form!

All in all, this summer was a joy. A delight. Magical. It started like this:


And ended like this:




Tomorrow my magic summer comes to an end. I am sorry to see it go, no doubt about it. But I get to see my kids on Tuesday, and man, are they good kids. There's a special kind of magic in watching them all walk through my door, smiling. And I suspect that next summer will have a little of its own magic.

In the meantime, if you're interested in any of my dresses, head over to my Instagram for a Back To School coupon for 15% off!

A happy end of Magic Summer to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Yaaaaaaay reboot! We did it well. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.

    ReplyDelete